Where your pets are family!

Click here to learn about how we are responding to the COVID-19 crisis.

Don’t Let Your Pet “Fall” Into Trouble

Summer is starting to wind down and as you get ready for fall and back-to-school time, it’s a good idea to be aware of some of the seasonal dangers your pet might encounter.

Rodent Poisons

Rat and mouse poison use increases in fall as rodents seek shelter from colder temps. Rodenticide poisoning is sadly quite common, and these substances—even the ones that say they’re “pet safe”—can be highly toxic and even fatal to pets.

Vehicle Coolants/Antifreeze

Fall is the time when many people change their vehicle’s coolant/antifreeze. Some of these liquids are tasty to pets, so make sure all spills are cleaned up or switch to propylene glycol-based coolants, which are less toxic.

Avoid Mushrooms & Popular (But Poisonous) Plants

99% of mushrooms are harmless—but the 1% that are toxic can cause life-threatening problems in pets. Most poisonous mushrooms are hard to distinguish from non-toxic ones, so keep pets away from areas where mushrooms grow.

There are also many plants that become popular in the fall — from maples to mums — that are actually unsafe for your pet. Some common fall plants that are toxic (or “harmless” but still capable of causing stomach upset) include:

  • Red Maples
  • Mums
  • Ginkgo Trees
  • Goldenrods
  • Fountain Grasses
  • Asters
  • Russian Sage
  • Caryopteris
  • Pansies

You can read more about these plants in detail on the ASPCA website.

Stash the School Supplies

Glue sticks, pencils, and magic markers are low toxicity for pets, but their shapes and smells make them attractive as chew toys. Gastrointestinal and upset and blockages can occur if ingested, so be sure your children keep their school supplies out of paw’s reach. Contact us or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at (888) 426-4435 immediately if you suspect your pet has ingested something harmful.